[WikiEN-l] Article specific blocks

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:58:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has there been any discussion in the past about implementing article
> specific (or category specific?) blocks as a way of enforcing topic bans?
> I'm thinking that an article may have a list or log of blocked editors, so
> that an editor can be blocked from a specific article without blocking them
> more generally or relying on their good faith to not violate topic bans. Any
> thoughts?

Article specific is fine IMO.  Category specific is problematic.  I'm
sure plenty of sneaky vandals could add unrelated pages to such
categories and in effect block those users from editing them.  Putting
what amounts to admin rights (even if it is over only a handful of
people) in the hands of anonymous editors is not wise.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com