[WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] Hand-carved puzzle globe

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 22:01:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:54 PM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wikipeia puzzle globe is copyrighted and is a trademark of the WMF. The logo
> isnt freely licensed.

Thanks for missing the point of my post entirely.

We can copyright a specific rendition of a puzzle globe which makes
the Wikipedia logo.

We cannot copyright the general concept of a puzzle globe.

We can trademark the use of a puzzle globe logo for an encyclopedia,
and to a lesser extent as a website logo generally.

We cannot use trademark law to prohibit anyone else from using a
puzzle globe for purposes that are not related to an encyclopedia and
website.

-Matt