[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 18:07:06 UTC 2008

2008/6/4 Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com>:

> Most simple vandalism isn't dealt with by watchlists anyway, but by
> recent changes listings, whether on-wiki, on the IRC feed or through
> separate tools that monitor these. Having separate articles makes no
> difference to these methods whatsoever, since they're edit-based and
> not page-based.

Mmm... yes and no. I have a gut assumption that basically says "the
fewer articles, the easier it is to monitor them"; it may not be a
very strong connection compared to how it was Back In The Day, but I
think the relationship is still there.

> As for bots: well, the very reason for their existence is so that they
> can do the grunt work for us, and updates to large groups of articles
> is a perfect example of such work.

Listing does have the subtle advantage here that you *know* you're
going to get all the entries - with individual articles, it's
relatively easy to lose a few in your later updates.

Anyhow, you're supporting my position, I won't argue back too much :-)

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk