[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] TorBlock extension enabled

Jonas Rand joeyyuan at cox.net
Wed Jun 4 13:59:20 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:45:12 +0100
> From: "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] TorBlock extension enabled
> To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

I think this is a good idea, as far as soft-blocking or. However, the
"autoconfirmed, 100 edits, 90 days" is not, because the users with Tor
should be allowed to use it, if it protects them from privacy. It should not
be softblocked until an editor is an "experienced editor", because it is an
assumption of bad faith for Wikipedia to assume that an editor does not have
good intentions because they aren't "prolific".

I can understand if this is a cautionary measure, however just because an
editor hasn't made 100 edits and stayed there for 90 days, does not mean
they are vandals or sleeper accounts. This is a flaw in the proposal, and
should be fixed.

Jonas