[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] TorBlock extension enabled

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 09:45:12 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Garrett <andrew at epstone.net>
Date: 2008/6/4
Subject: [Wikitech-l] TorBlock extension enabled
To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

Hi all,

After working through the code with Tim for a few hours this
afternoon, the TorBlock extension has been enabled on Wikimedia.

The TorBlock extension will override local IP blocks to provide a
consistent treatment of tor. Currently, this involves allowing only
logged-in users to edit, and requiring tor users to have 100 edits,
and a 90-day-old account, prior to being autoconfirmed.

Hopefully, this will provide a balance between allowing users to edit
through tor without the difficult process of granting per-wiki IP
block exemptions, and preventing pagemove vandals (such as the user
known as 'Grawp' on English) from using Tor for vandalism and so on.

I haven't yet implemented this, but I am interested in the prospect of
marking Tor users as such on either CheckUser, or (privacy policy
depending) on Recent Changes.

--
Andrew Garrett