[WikiEN-l] Britannica attempts to become Wikipedia

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:03:32 UTC 2008

On 6/2/08, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> What an odd thing to claim. Wikipedia must have many hundreds the
>  number of contributors that Britannica has. Most of the articles I
>  come across have been edited in the last 6 months. I'm not sure how
>  "update the database" is defined here, but if we take it to mean an
>  article being edited, the majority of Wikipedia's database must be
>  updated every year. I would guess that over 75% of Wikipedia articles
>  have been edited in the last year. Are there any statistics on this?

The best I know of is 18 months out of date:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Carnildo/The_100

Based on that, we've got close to a 100% rate of updates to articles.
Significant updates are a different matter: in the nine months covered
by the survey, only about 25% of the articles had non-trivial changes
made.

--
Mark
[[User:Carnildo]]