[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:57:03 UTC 2008

2008/6/2 Haza-w at enwiki <en.haza-w at ip3.co.uk>:
> Steve Summit wrote:

>> Just so.  We should remember that "notability", and our
>> attempts to objectify it via reference to second-party
>> reliable sources, are only means to an end.  The end goal is:
>> utility to our readers.  Get hung up on notability if you like,
>> but the encyclopedic inclusivity criterion I like to use is,
>> "Might someone ever look this up and expect/want/need to find
>> this information?

> Surely WP:IINFO applies here, however? Wikipedia cannot be an all-inclusive
> cornucopia of useful tidbits of information. Adding a plethora of stubs
> which feature little more than co-ordinates, a region link and a map
> thumbnail are effective going to make Wikipedia an online map searching
> facility.

I think this is missing the point, and looking for an excuse not to
have the article.

It's not "indiscriminate information" at all, but a relevant article
on a topic with relevant information to someone looking up that topic
at the correct page name for that topic.

Would it be more useful to a reader looking up the locality in
question than no article at all? I'd say it obviously would.

- d.