[WikiEN-l] Accusations of 'advertising'

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 05:38:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that Wikipedia being constantly bombarded by genuine spam has
> put us in an overly defensive mindset, which is also fed by the
> free-software anti-commercial attitude of some contributors.  Spam is
> when an article is created to garner publicity or hits.  It's not
> documenting anything anyone cares about, it's instead trying to give
> false respectability to something our readers don't want to see.

Yes, in the same way that "vandal fighters" start to see vandalism
everywhere, especially in well-meaning but in some way malformed
contributions.

It's also the work of the false presumption that NPOV means we must
have *something* negative to say about every subject, or else the
article is unbalanced.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com