[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 2 16:46:41 UTC 2008

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Steve Summit wrote:
>> Just so.  We should remember that "notability", and our
>> attempts to objectify it via reference to second-party
>> reliable sources, are only means to an end.  The end goal is:
>> utility to our readers.  Get hung up on notability if you like,
>> but the encyclopedic inclusivity criterion I like to use is,
>> "Might someone ever look this up and expect/want/need to find
>> this information?
>
> I'm sure plenty of people have expected to find information about TV
> episodes and characters.

Indeed. When someone goes to Google or Yahoo or whatever and does a
search for something, if there's not a good Wikipedia article about it
in the results that should almost always count as a failure on our part
IMO. The focus some people have on deliberately limiting our scope and
reducing our content is not easy to comprehend sometimes.