[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Jun 1 20:58:18 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/6/1 Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca>:
>
>> But I'm sure
>> FritzpollBot will be using modern style guidelines for templates and
>> citations when generating articles so that should be fine.
>>

> The considerable human review and involvement of country WikiProjects
> will help a great deal (and I suggest makes a nonsense of Nathan's
> assertion that these articles will be "untouched for a decade").

This seems to be presented differently depending on which proposal you
read. I'm finding stuff on the wiki about two million articles, which is
virtually impossible if there is actually "considerable human review and
involvement of the country WikiProjects" (especially since we don't even
have WikiProjects on some countries).

This particular proposal also seems to be heavily relying on a few
global placename databases that: 1) have very minimal data (often just
coordinates); and 2) have lots of errors, or at best ambiguity. Someone
already found a village in Nigeria that likely doesn't even exist [1].

I would be much more comfortable with this being done on a
country-by-country basis, with country-specific data sources that are
both more complete and more reliable. In fact this is already being
done---besides RamBot, there have been other country-specific projects
to, for example, add articles on all the [[en:woreda]]s of Ethiopia,
villages in Afghanistan, and so on. These sorts of projects go on all
the time, rarely encounter much opposition, and produce higher-quality
results. The attempt to uniformly treat the entire world en masse, based
on questionable global data sources, is what's a bit more controversial.

-Mark

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Gnaa%2C_Nigeria_(3rd_nomination)