[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 16:05:58 UTC 2008

How does simply having what is basically a placeholder entry for each
town/village/city etc. alleviate systemic bias? Most of these articles will
be ignored completely after creation, while those that are expanded and
improved will reflect the factors that led to systemic bias in content
initially.

As to the proposal itself, I don't think its a big deal. I also don't think
its of much value - if it works out to be mainly one or two line stubs, what
encyclopedic value does that really add? Only people who already know that a
town exists and what country its in will search for it, right? The one
reference is nice, and the links to maps (if its on all stubs) is cool, but
still. Creating 2 million more articles that won't be touched for a decade
seems unnecessary and doesn't really bring much actual knowledge to the
'pedia, but aside from damaging the hell out of my random article patrolling
it doesn't appear to present a serious problem either.

As to random article patrolling, its past time that there was a way to
restrict this "randomness." Mostly I look for unreferenced and uncategorized
BLPs, and if I could exclude all articles categorized as
towns/villages/cities etc. that would really help. Is there already a way to
do that?

Nathan