[WikiEN-l] Where are the basic demographics on contributors?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 03:47:37 UTC 2008

2008/7/25 Carl Beckhorn <cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm>:
> I expect that any site with as many active editors as English Wikipedia
> should have good statistical data about members - age, sex, race,
> nationality, and income distributions, among other things. Where can I
> find these statistics for English Wikipedia?  I expect the Foundation
> has at some point retained an independent polling firm to obtain this
> data, right?
>
>  - Carl

Why? Consider:

1)Many Wikipedians value their privacy very highly

2)There are a number of wikipedians who would view lying about their
demographic data to be a way to gain an advantage in an editing
conflict.

We have some idea about our readership from various people who tract
browsing habits and we can make educated guesses about the
demographics of our regular editors by looking at samples of userpages
but that is about it.

--
geni