[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:40:14 UTC 2008

On 7/23/08, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> Killing a mosquito with a hammer is not the proper approach however.
> Most of, if not all the major issues NYB brought up, were
> addressed already.

I appreciate from Steve Bain's and other posts that the issue I raised in my
first post has been addressed with regard to XfD, RfA, RfAr, RFC,
and BLP/N pages (that is, at least the archives of these pages; I think the
current pages should be no-indexed as well).  However, the same principles
that called for no-indexing these pages would also apply to DRV (which is
indistinguishable in principle, for these purposes, from XfD; the only
reason those pages are still indexed, as I understand it, has to do with
page layout issues), as well as SSP, RfCU, the former PAIN and CSN, WQA, AN,
AN/I, and AN3.

Pending issues include (1) do we agree to no-indexing all of these; (2)
should project space be no-index with an "index this page" opt-in (my
preference and how do we set that up); (3) how do we treat userspace (my
preference would be a no-index default with users allowed to opt into being
indexed if they wish); and (4) other namespaces.

Could someone post a link to any discussion that might be taking place
on-wiki or on Bugzilla?

Thanks,
Newyorkbrad