[WikiEN-l] Dangerous factionalism (Was: Re: SlimVirgin and CheckUser leaks)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jul 23 23:27:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/08, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
>>  And if someone makes a police report about a burglar, the police don't
>>  respond by arresting both them and the burglar.
>
> Again, the point here isn't justice, but to figure out how we can best
> write an encyclopedia.

Justice is a basic principle which is necessary for successfully
engaging in any social activity, including that of collaboratively
writing an encyclopedia.  If you don't provide admins with justice,
how are you going to convince anyone to be an admin?

> Let us assume, as you do, that there are clear innocents here. Even
> still, I think it's entirely plausible that a person could be
> sufficiently victimized that they're no longer capable of performing
> the role of admin.

I don't see how a completely innocent person can be victimized to a
point which necessitates "invoking technical measures to literally
prevent them" from performing admin actions.

You say that "doing nothing DEFINITELY won't help", but doing
*nothing* would probably have about the same result as deadminship,
wouldn't it?