[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 20:00:38 UTC 2008

Killing a mosquito with a hammer is not the proper approach however.

Most of, if not all the major issues NYB brought up, were addressed  already.

In many cases, when I search for particular things in Google, I *do* in  fact
want to see the Wikipedia information, that's for what in-fact I'm
searching.  Our internal search engine does not do the same finesse and  bag-of-tricks
that Google can do, so it's not really an adequate  replacement.

IF the programmers had some way of creating a Google-internal-only search
engine, that is, it works exactly like Google and I mean exactly, and yet can
only be accessed from inside the Wikipedia frame, that could possibly  work.

Often I simply know that there is some issue with a certain user, and I  want
to know what it IS, since some nellies on here won't just come right out  and
say it directly (read that tongue-in-cheek).  My sole recourse is to  Google
for the user.  Many, but not all, of these hits are to internal  Wikipedia
pages.  How can a historian accurately track the meta-project if  we're going to
suppress the very pages that are most needed?

The only thing that noindexing User and User Talk pages will do, is give
ammunition to those who already loudly trumpet that we hide actions of
malevolent editors.. admins.. bureaucrats.. and arbcom members.   Because now, we've
made it 20 times harder to actually track those  actions.

If there are cases, and I do mean relatively few, they can be handled with
oversight.  If those with Oversight do not WISH those cases to vanish, then  we
should not be back-dooring that very situation.  If we don't have enough
oversighters to handle the vast volume (tongue-in-cheek) then we should  promote
more.

This is not the solution to that problem.

Will Jhonson

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.