[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

Simetrical Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:49:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having to read some enormous page every page-load wouldn't be good. It
> would be better to do the right thing on average per-namespace then
> use something in the pages to control exceptions.

The ability to noindex namespaces is already in MediaWiki and could be
turned on at will.  See $wgNamespaceRobotPolicies.
$wgArticleRobotPolicies is also relevant, although not really useful
unless we have a very short fixed list of exceptions that can be
maintained by sysadmins (which we don't).

It wouldn't be too hard to fix bug 8068 and add a __NOINDEX__ keyword,
though.  We would of course want an __INDEX__ keyword as well.
(Probably we can leave out __FOLLOW__ and __NOFOLLOW__ as options.
Using the namespace default for all pages should be fine there.)
Maybe I'll make that my project for today.