[WikiEN-l] Price we pay from the Deletionists: Y-Combinator looking to fu...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 19:57:56 UTC 2008

In a message dated 7/22/2008 12:43:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
alecmconroy at gmail.com writes:

I wonder  if the legal requirements of BLP
would still apply if articles were  "signed" or "owned" by specific
users?   Obviously, individuals  who write the articles would face a
certain liability, but mayhaps the  foundation would be as immune from
BLP issues as the phone company is  immune from slander that travels
over their long distance  lines.

--------------
The foundation already *is* immune, in the same way and for the same  reasons.
By the way the vast majority of BLP isn't about "slander" per se,  imho.
It's about "oh why are we hurting someone's feelings...." or even just "we
*might* hurt someone's feelings".

If fifteen newspapers and the AP report Britney Spears is in a mental
hospital, we can't, because a well-heeled clan of "do-gooders" are off  their meds :)

At least that's my witty or concealed-vicious way of putting the  situation.

Otherwise I would agree with the rest of your reply, if, you would agree
that a core policy should simply be "we will never have a notability  policy".
There is no need to mention "quality" at all, since some very  high-quality
articles can be writen about people of little to no notability (per  se).

I mean fifteen people who know Florence personally could get together and
write a good article about her, even though she, may not qualify for an article
in-project, for notability reasons (no slur on Florence).

The problem in that case, if there was one, in this *new* project would be  V
not notability.  That's as it should be, it's as I THOUGHT Jimmy had
envisioned it when he stated that we should cover everything.

Since "we should cover everything" was never part of the CORE, it got
swamped by Notability.  The only way to prevent a repeat-performance is to  make "no
notability" itself a core principle.

Will Johnson

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.