[WikiEN-l] SlimVirgin and CheckUser leaks

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon Jul 21 00:02:06 UTC 2008

On 20 Jul 2008 at 13:34:19 +0100, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2008/7/20 private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com>:
>
> > I'd like to formally request here that a checkuser notify me as to when
> > checkuser was used on my current accout, User:Privatemusings, and also on my
> > previous accounts User:Purples, and User:Petesmiles.
>
> I would suggest that you think there's a problem because you were
> caught out sockpuppeting egregiously, and still don't think you did
> anything wrong. In your case I can't see a thing the system did wrong.

That's one way of spinning the Private Musings saga, but I think a
more reasonable way would be to note that he was using an alternate
account to participate in internal Wikipolitics of a somewhat
controversial nature (e.g., the great BADSITES wars), while using his
then-main account to do much less controversial, and site-content
oriented, things.  This was, at the time, at least arguably permitted
by the policy (though there was some ambiguity).  His political
enemies then proceeded, in conjunction with tightening up this
policy, with enforcing the new understanding of the policy
retroactively on him.

Sockpuppetry for the purpose of involving oneself in political
struggles has always been treated with a double standard depending on
whether the person who does it is in the "favored class" or out of
it.

--
== Dan ==