[WikiEN-l] Okay, so what do I *do* about Tessaiga?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sun Jul 20 04:22:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, David Gerard wrote:
> If you want to move it, you need some good sources that actually use
> the name you advocate. Are there any?

It's a popular culture article.  Our rules for sourcing are completely broken
for popular culture articles.  Moreover, most written material in English
comes from the company that mistranslated the name.

It's not hard to find sources that do use the right name, though because it's
a popular culture article it's just about impossible to find anything that
counts as a source by Wikipedia standards:

Wikipedia itself described the origin of the name until the person who
changed the name also took it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tetsusaiga&diff=225145533&oldid=225143135

The name 'Tetsusaiga' is a mistranslation from the original Japanese name for
the sword. InuYasha's sword is actually known as the 'Tessaiga' in Japanese
but due to an error when translating the series from Japanese to English, it
became the Tetsusaiga. The smaller version of the hiragana character "tsu" ()
was mistaken for the larger version of the hiragana character "tsu" (). So,
instead of doubling the consonant "s" in the name, a "tsu" was inserted into
the name, thus giving us 'Tetsusaiga'. By the time Viz discovered the error,
it was decided that it was too late to change the name back to the original.

http://www.funtrivia.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=467842&Main=466006
"Well, like I said, I directly consulted with someone able to read kana, and
they as I quoted above, told me that the correct spelling is "Tessaiga", he
even had another double-check this, and that person who double-checked
his translation was Japanese born, living in Japan, so I would think it is
safe to say they are right."