[WikiEN-l] Another rule literalism problem

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 07:31:32 UTC 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 4:50 PM, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:

> No what I mean is you haven't cited .... anything.
> A table, a procedure, a rule, nothing at all except your own words.
> You.. are not a source.

There does seem to me to be a problem here, which is that we generally
allow foreign language sources to be used if necessary. We assume that
people who say they can read Japanese can when they cite a Japanese-
language source.

Given that this, by all appearances, is a matter of basic reading
comprehension in a foreign source, I am hard pressed to figure out how
it falls under our sourcing guidelines in the first place. It's
certainly a bit weird to say that you need a source for this but that
Wikipedia editors can use foreign language sources themselves in other
places.

-Phil