[WikiEN-l] In popular culture

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:44:29 UTC 2008

On 2008.07.07 09:06:04 -0400, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> scribbled 0.7K characters:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:14 AM, Oskar Sigvardsson
> <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There's also been some shenanigans on [[Wood]]
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Woodoldid=224074261#In_Popular_Culture
>
> Which lead one editor to add an HTML comment to the wiki code asking
> future editors not to re-add the joke "IPC" section. Another editor
> removed the comments with the edit summary "An article's source is not
> a place for messages to other users".
>
> Ia there any consensus/policy/guideline for this view? I wanted to add
> it back as I have used such comments before but didn't feel like
> getting into an edit war over invisible wikitext on an article I don't
> regularly edit.

I think removing comments is ridiculous. In the past, a few users have removed my comments from an article and (sometimes) put them on the talk, and it was just as silly every time. I devoutly hope that consensus is still where it was when I started: that lengthy comments sometimes belong on talk, but comments in general are fine and have many useful roles (such as the warnings you mention.)

--
gwern
Hillal nailbomb Ufologico DSS EO intelligence Cell bank morse supercomputer