[WikiEN-l] NewYorkBrad leaving

Stephen Streater sbstreater at mac.com
Mon Jul 7 09:11:34 UTC 2008

On 28 Jun 2008, at 23:07, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:

> While I was researching *why* New York Brad was "forced to resign",
> since  no
> one here seems to want to state that Daniel Brandt revealed his real
> name and
> the law firm for which he works ---- I found this interesting article.
>
> _http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/06/wikipedia_and_overstock/page3.html_
> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/06/wikipedia_and_overstock/page3.html
> )
>
> While gives a big overview of the whole Overstock.com issue and
> related
> topics.
> I still have no *clear* idea of what naked short selling actually
> is....  but
> wow what a lot of new topics to research!
>
> Even ED doesn't really go into the whole thing in a way that makes the
> issues clear.  They really need to hire a new writer, and the folks
> at WR  respond
> in one or two short sentences to a whole lot of underlying detail.
> Like that
> one guy said "I see the crumbs, wheres the loaf of bread" in the whole
> Alison-Amorrow "he's editing from where I work" fiasco.
>
> I'm rambling.  It's just much easier when you edit from your own
> name,  and
> have nothing to hide.  Linda Mack? MI5 ?  Google-Watch?
>
> What happened to the Daniel Brandt article?  Is he not notable?
>
> Will Johnson

> fuel-efficient used cars.      (http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007
> )

Editing under your own name doesn't make things simpler.
It just moves the criticism on to another level!

As for naked short selling, it is simply selling shares you don't have
in your possession.
Normal short selling involve borrowing shares from someone (for a fee)
and selling them
on so the buyer gets shares and your willing counter party may lose
out if you default.
With naked short selling, if you go bust, your buyer ends up without
the shares,
even though he never consented to take this risk.

In the UK, Market Makers do this all the time to ensure an orderly
market, so they can
hold (on average over time) no net position in a share.

I'm sorry to hear NewYorkBrad is leaving - he is a very knowledgeable
contributor.