[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is ... free web hosting?

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 07:03:47 UTC 2008

Regardless of my own position on this, it seems a number of people felt the
domain redirect wasn't entirely appropriate, and I applaud the reasonable
compromise on the part of the maintainers who removed it.

On Jan 30, 2008 10:38 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any comments from the participators here about it?

I personally felt it was inappropriate, but didn't think I should draw
attention to it.

Now that we're soliciting comments, I would say that the concern itself is
legitimate but should probably be divorced from anything that could be taken
as a personal jab -- removing or rephrasing the second sentence ("utterly
irresponsible for a parent to do that") would probably remove the potential
for gut emotional offense. People could still read into it, but they'd have
to try harder. I think you can safely apologize for the unintended offense
without suddenly reversing your overall position on pictures of children, if
you're in a mood to do so.

In retrospect, I agree we would have done well to notify the people under
discussion; I was remiss not to make sure this had been done.

-Luna