[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is ... free web hosting?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 30 19:36:36 UTC 2008

Peter Ansell wrote:
> If they leave because a userspace page, which was not promoting
> collaboration on wikipedia articles, was deleted then they were *not
> valuable* to the encyclopedia.

That seems like an extremely petty criterion of "value." Have you
checked the contributions lists of the Bathrobe Cabal members? If all
they do is work on the Bathrobe Cabal page, sure, no big loss. But
considering they have to run the gauntlet of RfA to join the Bathrobe
Cabal that seems unlikely. Almost by definition they've had to
contribute a lot of valuable work to Wikipedia to get there.

> It could however be affected if others figure out that admins aren't
> consistent and chuck a fuss because their Userspace pages were deleted
> for the same reason that page was kept in a shortened discussion.

We could leave all harmless user subpages like this one alone,
admin-created or not. That would be a consistent approach.