[WikiEN-l] CDcovermeme

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:33:32 UTC 2008

On 1/30/08, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> I find it interesting how often this random selection comes up with
> combinations of band names, album titles, and images that give the
> impression of having some sort of deep symbolic artistic
> significance... makes one wonder how many of the real-world arts-and-
> literature stuff, about which people write academic treatises
> discussing what they represent, were really just born of random
> thoughts of their artists.  I remember struggling in English classes
> in high school and college (where I was great at more "rational"
> subjects like math and computer science) where the teachers kept
> expecting me to understand all the symbolism that was supposedly
> there in the books and stories we read (the rocking horse isn't just
> a rocking horse... it represents the lost innocence of childhood!),
> but how is anybody to know what symbolism was really intended and
> what is a figment of the observer's imagination?

"A bunch of years from now, all these assholes are going to be writing
about all this shit I write, and I don't know where the fuck it comes
from and I don't know what the fuck it's about, and they're going to
write about what it's about."
     --Bob Dylan, circa 1965, as quoted (by Joan Baez) in a 2005 documentary.