[WikiEN-l] Inflammatory userboxes

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:05:00 UTC 2008

Well, thats exactly the problem. Such userboxes tend to stir up a hornet's
nest, and other users who are involved in related articles may become
defensive as a result.

For example, say you edit an article about Israel or Palestine. I go to your
userpage and I see political issues you advocate. Then I start believing in
you being a Zionist or Antisemitic (or whatever) and treat you as such. This
seems to be the typical process especially on controversial issues.

Especially new users get unnecessarily excited over such statements of
political views on userpages. Even oldies have a hard time when you see
views that are very unpleasant. For example imagine a userbox in support of
the viet cong and a vietnam veteran seeing it who otherwise is a rational
person on even issues related to the vietnam war.

Userboxes are to comply with WP:NPOV. Why shouldn't they? If people want to
advocate their political views they can do so on their own site, not on
wikipedia.