[WikiEN-l] Image of the day

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 00:18:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 10:31 AM, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
> >> Meta doesn't allow fair use anymore.
> >
> > Is this fair use, though? Is the right of a recipient to reproduce a
> > letter just a special case of fair use, or is it a separate law?
>
> But we don't need fair use at all in this situation. The copyright
> holder has explicitly licensed Wikipedia to use this image.

You could say exactly the same thing about the little icons used on
the awards page on meta. When you win such an award, you are given
explicit permission to display the award on your site - that's the
entire purpose of those images. But they're still getting deleted.

It would probably be easier to just use one of the growing number of
Wikipedian community sites that exist outside of Wikimedia. There are
a growing number of wikis, forums, blogs, and other social networks,
that were created for and by Wikipedians that are not restricted by
Wikip/media policies. One of the oldest examples is
http://community.livejournal.com/wikipedians/ (which, by the way,
started in 2002 with a post still relevant today - "will someone tell
me what's happened with the whole Lir affair?")

Angela