[WikiEN-l] Attributing articles to their authors

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 21:42:11 UTC 2008

I guess some people have a rosier view of human nature than I do. I
can easily foresee a practically unlimited number of conflicts over
credit. I can easily see a dozen major news articles based on who it
is revealed wrote a particular article. What if it turns out that 40%
of the George W. Bush article was written by an Australian 12 year
old? (Not at all unlikely). How will that increase the trust in
Wikipedia of the general population?

How would you deal with the fact that a large portion of the content
on Wikipedia was contributed not just under a pseudonymous nickname
but by a nameless IP address? I'm afraid that manually written credits
in the content of an article is just not ever likely to happen. There
are far too many problems for it to ever get beyond an intellectual
debate on a mailing list.

If you are really into the idea of credit, investigate something
similar to David Gerard's suggestion.

Nathan