[WikiEN-l] How can to make technical articles easier for non-experts to understand?

Jason Spiro jasonspiro2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 03:35:21 UTC 2008

Andrew Miller wrote:
> I'm not familiar with 'consumer's surplus'. What does it mean?

Peter Spiro replied:
> Consumers' surplus exists in markets where all consumers pay the same
> price for the same good or service.  Consumers are all different people,
> and the good or service X is more important (and hence more valuable) to
> some people than others.  However, in a competitive market, the price is
> actually determined by what it's worth to the marginal consumer who
> values it the least.  All the other consumers are getting more than
> their money's worth, so to speak, and this is their surplus.
>
> In non-competitive markets, such as airlines, the company charges more
> for the same flight to different types of customers, attempting to grab
> back this surplus.   There's an article on the concept at Wikipedia[...]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers%27_surplus

I like your explanation better: especially with the example, it is
easier to understand.  Now I wonder:

How can Wikipedia get contributors to make articles less technical and
easier for non-experts to understand?

* i.e. add examples?
* Or have an initial "easy explanation" section then a later advanced
explanation section?
* Or what?

Cheers,
--
Jason Spiro: corporate trainer, web developer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more.
Email: info at jspiro.com / MSN: jasonspiro at hotmail.com