[WikiEN-l] A six-day roll-back poll?

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 15 05:02:42 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> On 11/01/2008, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
>> 3. the feeling that you've gotten an admin tool
>> Am I missing something?
>
> That item 3 is also items 4, 5, 6, 1 and 2. I think that's about it.
> It's about making leveling up an artificially scarce resource.

Okay, so David and I may have been being a bit cynical there.
But then I came across the new [[Wikipedia:Requests for rollback]],
which proclaims:

	Rollback *is not* an honor or a sign of community trust,
	it is merely a technical feature and getting it is no
	more momentous than installing Twinkle.

So either David and I were being completely cynical, or the cited
assertion is a pretty blatant fiction.  In all seriousness (i.e.,
I'm not trying to be ironic or sarcastic or further cynical here):
I wonder which it is?  And if (as I suspect) the cited assertion
is a classic example of a valiant (but failed) attempt to prove
an emotionally desired result (despite logic to the contrary) by
vehemently asserting it, how do we reconcile that statement, and
those who would assert it, with reality?