[WikiEN-l] Anthere - "take decisions yourselves" - yes please!

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jan 14 02:45:17 UTC 2008

doc wrote:
> Ending the instruction creep is simple - switch it on for all
> auto-confirmed users. Or, alternatively, allow all users a preference to
> switch it on or off for themselves.

I would support either of those alternatives... or the one that has been
forced on us by the current design of the feature, in which we have to
create and maintain and enforce a policy about who gets it or not.  I
would support the second option if that is the will of the community,
whereas I am getting the feeling that it is not.

But I do not support that this sort of feature, which is clearly not
unanimously wanted at all, should be decided by the developers or the
Foundation (Anthere) rather than the community.

JeLuF did the right thing, given the limited knowledge that he had.
He's a good guy and I am highly confident he has no interest at all in
usurping the traditional decisionmaking processes of English Wikipedia.
  He saw a poll, it looked like a solid majority, and he assumed that
meant he was supposed to carry out the will of the community.  Not a
problem there, except...

The English Wikipedia has traditionally had better ways of making
decisions than voting.

So, that's what we're going to do.  The only problem at the moment is
that there seem to be about a half-dozen different similarly named pages
which purport to be a discussion or poll about this, and there is not
the simple clarity that we need in order to be able to move forward
rationally.  This will surely be cleared up soon.

--Jimbo