[WikiEN-l] Search positioning

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 04:35:18 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Anyone have any guesses for the cause of the reletive positioning of
> English Wikipedia in the following google searches?
>
> BLAS wikipedia
>
> BLAS

I've heard reports before of differing Google search results, depending
upon your country (this was from England) and even upon the time of day
(approximately 04:00 UTC). The first search gave

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Blas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruy_Blas
gd.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas
gd.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas_(dualchainnt)
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi_y_Blas

and other results in the first 10 were from the Dutch, Polish and
Italian Wikipedia. Searching for BLAS alone gave

www.netlib.org/blas/
www.netlib.org/blas/faq.html
www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/irish/blas/
www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/irish/blas/learners/