[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] tech team - content community bottleneck

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat Jan 12 17:32:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, doc wrote:
> All that is being said, is that a little more care is needed when making
> a call on consensus in an obviously contentious area in our community.

Why would anyone do this?

No, seriously.  If you make a de-facto irreversible decision without real
consensus, you succeed.  Your decision is in place.  You do get some drama, but
since the decision can't be reversed, you don't need to listen to it.

If you try for consensus first, you might succeed or you might not.

There's no downside whatsoever to not getting consensus, and there's a downside
*to* getting consensus (a chance of failure).

Why would anyone bother getting consensus under these circumstances?

(And yes, the same goes for spoiler warnings and episodes.)