[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] tech team - content community bottleneck

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 16:06:03 UTC 2008

On 12/01/2008, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> And I /would/ suggest this is a role that arbs could take on (who
> else?), NOT as policy makers or adjudicates after the fact, but as
> people trusted by the community for sane unbiased judgment - who tend to
> know what's going on - who can give a developer a sanity check as
> regards where the consensus on en.wp lies.

Oh yeah, that might be workable.

It's important that the arbcom is for resolving interpersonal disputes
- it's NOT the government of en:wp,even though people keep trying to
thrust this role upon them (and they have the good sense to avoid it).

To the extent they take on functions as a voice of en:wp (checkuser,
oversight, emergency deadminning, etc) it's because there's no-one
else who can reasonably do the job and they get volunteered for the
particular role.

In terms of requests like this ("please switch on this function for
en:wp"), they would be the right ones. But requiring all such changes
to go through them is fraught with instruction creep and bureaucracy.

- d.