[WikiEN-l] So, has the need for consensus in wikipedia been eliminated?

Majorly axel9891 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:58:23 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Avi <avi.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex, the more important point here is not the goodness or badness of
> rollback, it is the gross disregard for the wikipedia community that JuLef
> (sp?) had by implementing this procedure in the face of significant clear
> and present opposition. Even if this were the best thing since sliced
> bread,
> which I do not believe it is, its implementation opens the door to further
> marginalization of the community processes that have allowed wikipedia to
> survive its exponential growth.
>
> So, shall we start promoting more sysops based on bureaucratic whim? Shall
> we proceed to delete all userpage quotations on a lark without discussion?
> How about admins speedy deleting articles with minor sourcing issues,
> claiming A7 without recourse for a discussion?
>
> This is a gross violation of process, and there isn't even a good option
> for
> the community to respond as there are extremely few people who can access
> the wikicode itself.
>
> Even when Jimbo wanted to implement credentialing standards after the
> EssJay
> issue, the community had an open and frank discussion about it _without
> and
> before_ implementation by fiat.
>
> This developer has exhibited extremely poor judgment and a gross disregard
> for the WIkipedia community, and his actions should be reversed, if for no
> other reason than commitment to our core policies that major changes
> require
> consensus.
>
> --Avi
>
> --
> en:User:Avraham
> ----
> pub 1024D/785EA229 3/6/2007 Avi (Wikipedia-related) <aviwiki at gmail.com>
>    Primary key fingerprint:  D233 20E7 0697 C3BC 4445 7D45 CBA0 3F46 785E
> A229

There will be opposition to everything proposed on enwiki. I'd be just as
annoyed as you if the consensus was, say 55%, much less than what is
normally considered to be so. People are always scared of new things
appearing, but that's how it is. I honestly can't see why those in
opposition can't give this a chance, and complain only when something goes
wrong. We didn't ask for undo did we? It just happened. There's probably
other things too.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly