[WikiEN-l] Blocking of School IPs

Ivan Beschastnikh ivan at cs.washington.edu
Thu Jan 10 00:23:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Noah Salzman wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
>
>>  IMHO we should be putting more effort into brilliant vandalism
>> detection and rollback
>

> This area is ripe for exploration. Has anyone looked into "Summer of
> Code" type projects for this sort of thing? The signatures for the
> great majority of vandalism are not difficult to understand.

I was a student and a mentor in summer of code and I think this is an
ideal project for this program. I'm not sure if the wikimedia foundation
is taking part in the next summer of code, but this should certainly be
considered. I think you'll have no dirth of excited cs students to take on
some of the more elaborate or time consuming coding projects, however, you
do need to find someone to run and organize this program.

ivan.