[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is a public toilet - says Jimbo?

G Donato gdonato at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 23:06:17 UTC 2008

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> On 09/01/2008, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> better than many professional media people would have
>>>
>>> Don't you think that by now, with all the interviews and features he has
>>> done, Jimbo *is* effectively a professional media person?
>> Indeed, as far as I can tell, these kind of things appear to be
>> Jimbo's full time job these days.
>
> Sadly, at least half-time.  The other half of my time, I am answering
> emails.  And the other half I am working on the design of the search
> project.  And the other half... and... :)

I happened to accidentally stumble across the Jimbo interview on BBC
News 24 when it was aired 31st December. And (I'm not just being nice
cos he's listening) I think Jimmy did answer the questions well and
certainly did Wikipedia no harm at all. As for the public toilet
comparison, I thought that was humourous more than anything else,
certainly attracting the viewer's attention and after all, any publicity
is good publicity. In summary, don't worry too much about PR, I feel
there is no issue with what Jimbo said in PR terms whatsoever. :)

G Donato