[WikiEN-l] Blocking of School IPs

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:47:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 2:41 PM, Ian A Holton <poeloq at gmail.com> wrote:

>  wouldn't it be a good idea to start blocking school (not university)
> IPs indefinitely. I have rarely seen a good edit come from one of these
> and the time spend on vandal fighting them is just wasted time, really.

If the vandalism is persistent enough.  I have blocked school IPs for one
year before and if the situation didn't improve after the block expired I
would block indefinitely.

If I block for more than a month I usually send an email to an IT person at
the school (if I can locate an address) and let them know that this has
happened.  I also say that if they can figure out who is responsible and
confirm that there has been disciplinary action then I would lift the block
early.  I've only ever received one response from an email like that, which
was something like "thanks for letting us know, but we don't care."

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com