[WikiEN-l] Fundraiser quote of the day

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:18:08 UTC 2008

On 07/01/2008, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > However, all this might actually be a good idea. Paying students to edit
> > Wikipedia might be a way of funding research into new knowledge and also
> > help receive current knowledge in a form suitable for Wikipedia.
> > Obviously, one would have to find funding for such a thing. AFAIR, the
> > German Wikipedia received funding from the German government and a
> > private company for a project that was used for paid contributors.

> Yes, if you can find the funding, it would be great. We should target
> post-grads, rather than under-grads, though. The information added
> will be much more reliable.

We've had some great stuff from students set the assignment of writing
for Wikipedia *and having to do so in a manner acceptable to
Wikipedia*. e.g.

http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/10/29/wikipedia
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071030-prof-replaces-term-papers-with-wikipedia-contributions.html

Dig this first edit. :-O

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Deforestation_during_the_Roman_period&oldid=94219478

Set them loose on the red link lists at the bottom of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WIP

- d.