[WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:43:19 UTC 2008

There are many, many different professions with affirmative reporting
requirements. I've been using the word 'warning' instead of 'threat'
because threat implies a particular tone that is entirely different. A
warning might be "You've mentioned you work in the Air Force, but
please be aware that if you provide more completely identifying
information about yourself I or others may have to report you." Now,
thats polite, isn't a threat and is issued in a situation where "just
go ahead and do it" doesn't apply.

The reason the "whole conversation has been about the former" in this
case is because that is most closely what happened (between OM and VO)
*and* it is the situation with policy implications. (On-wiki
incivility is dealt with by policy, off-wiki non-harassing incivility
is irrelevant). I'm satisfied with what Mike Godwin wrote, which is
that if politely issued it is wrongheaded to construe policy as
prohibiting warnings of a legal obligation.

For examples of some professions who must report information in
various situations: Physicians, lawyers, judges, psychologists, school
administrators, teachers, social workers, guidance counselors,
essentially all law enforcement, military personnel. This class
obviously includes many millions of people, so it makes sense to
adjust the policy to account for the affirmative reporting requirement
issue.
Nathan