[WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:56:16 UTC 2008

Also, unless Foo, Baz, or both are checkusers, how does either one
know where the other one is editing from? And even if one is a
checkuser, would it not be a gross violation of the privacy policy to
use checkuser in that manner in the absence of misconduct? (This is,
of course, provided that Foo and Baz do not edit anonymously, but in
this scenario we're generally talking about registered accounts.)

If there is a case (outside of a specific court order, which would
generally be served on the Foundation itself rather than any
individual checkuser anyway) where a checkuser could have legally
mandated disclosure in violation of the privacy policy, that person
should not be a checkuser. Nothing personal against any such person,
it's to their benefit as much as anyone else's not to be placed into a
conflict-of-interest situation.

On Jan 3, 2008 6:17 AM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming the employer has a policy totally prohibiting incidental use of the
> internet, the only ethical think for Foo to do is to remind Baz to edit from
> home.
> This would be true in all situation unless it were specifically part of
> Foo's normal functions to detect & report violations of this policy--and in
> that case i would be concerned whether Foo may have trapped Baz by inducing
> him to violate it.
>

> On Jan 3, 2008 5:13 AM, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, let's break this down into slightly more abstract, essential
> > elements
> > and questions:
> >
> > Users Foo and Baz are in a dispute. Baz edits from work, sometimes. Foo
> > realizes this, and says they're going to contact Baz's employer to inform
> > them of this workplace policy violation.
> >
> > Is this a problem?
> >
> > Does it matter if Foo and Baz work for the same employer?
> >
> > Does it matter if that employer is a government agency?
> >
> > -Luna
> >

> --
> David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.