[WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:40:02 UTC 2008

On 1/2/08, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Orangemarlin#Contacting_people.27s_employers_in_real_life
>
> This is an interesting thread (one of a few on this subject, including
> in the Jimsch62 (sp) RfAr) - two editors who are in the military/work
> for the US government claim that it is their legal responsibility to
> report to the USAF the use of a military PC to edit Wikipedia because
> that is a violation of the UCMJ. I'm curious about whether that is
> true, and if it is why we don't block .mil IPs from editing en masse.
>
> Mike Godwin, do you have an opinion on this issue?
>
> Nathan

I think the meta-issue is what expectation there is on us as Wikipedia
editors to separate our perceived "real life" obligations from our
"wikipedia editor" obligations.  Most of us edit as private citizens, and
not under the authority or direction of our employers. If the editor who
claims a fiduciary duty to their employer is actually editing as a private
citizen, I do not see how this is a "mandatory reporting" situation.

Risker