[WikiEN-l] Year articles

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 13:08:43 UTC 2008

On 12/31/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some time ago, we discussed the various articles on years, which are
> invariably bald timelines of births, deaths and events; the
> possibility of fleshing them out into prose was tossed around.
>
> I've just been told someone finally did one of them :-)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1345
>
> with the old content at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1345_timeline
>
> Thoughts?

Interesting. IMHO, it's a bit *too* specific. Most of the interesting
things in history don't happen in one year, they take a few. So I'd
expect to find lots of little boxes like this:

War of blah: |1290.........1345...1360|

or something.

An article that lists all the events that happened in one year strikes
me as almost like trivia. It also doesn't really work as a
navigational aid, because you can't readily click to find out what
happened next n whatever sequnce of events.

I'm also thinking that if we have so much manpower that we can afford
to produce articles as detailed as this on the years, why not just
spend that manpower on the historic event articles themselves?

Steve