[WikiEN-l] BetacommandBot, (currently) centralized discussion

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 23:52:06 UTC 2008

On 23/02/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

>  "Reasonable" is an added herring.  Fair use is fair use.  Book  covers should
>  be allowed to be used, without restriction.  All book covers  are fair use.

I regularly see *immensely* silly uses of book covers - the cover art
of randomly selected contemporary editions of classic novels used as
an illustration for the article, which seems to have little or no
practical benefit to the article and *certainly* have no 'uniqueness'.
In such cases, there are a dozen different images we could use,
neither of which has any merit over the other.

The last case I remember - an Oxford World's Classics image on [[Tom
Brown's Schooldays]] - also turned out to have been used as an
illustration for an article about cricket, because he was playing it
on the book cover.

I find myself doubting that *that* is automatically presumable to be fair use...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk