[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship (was: "I want to at least kill the responsible person.")

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:35:30 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 4:28 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> My point is that in the general case, under for example, UK law, if
> there are types of information that are contained in the wikipedia
> that racial groups consider extremely obscene, which are impossible to
> avoid in other than this way you indicate above, then this suggestion
> amounts to racism. (The UK defines racism as anything that
> intentionally or unintentionally has a significant negative effect on
> a racial group; and while you may not be able to define Moslems as a
> racial group, I expect you could find similar issues with actual
> racial groups.)
>
> I think that blocking all the images on the wikipedia meets that
> criteria, and hence can be defined (at least in the UK definition,
> which I would suppose would be notable) as racist.

IMO that definition of racism is way too broad.  This is, for example,
not racism (or "religionism") at all.  What we are dealing with is a
fundamental incompatibility between the goals of our project and the
beliefs of a particular religious group.  I could form a religion that
hates the word "taco" -- are we gonna cater to that too?

Political correctness is a death trap.  Sanity is insanity, insanity
is sanity.  Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com