[WikiEN-l] "I want to at least kill the responsible person."

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:42:45 UTC 2008

On 05/02/2008, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to mention the lack of an objective way to determine whether an
> image (or anything else) is "potentially-offending" enough that an
> otherwise reasonable person somewhere might want to opt out of it.
> It's not our place to make that decision for this or any other
> content.

Of *course* it's our place to make subjective editorial decisions on
whether or not content is appropriate - where appropriate is a
broadly-defined mixture of "acceptable", "useful", "well-placed", etc
etc. We do it all the time, as a community and as individuals or
ad-hoc groups. There's no 'Big Book of Encyclopedic Merit' we refer
back to...

This just happens to be a case where it's easier to defend the status
quo, and write off one side of the discussion as ideological, than it
usually is!

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

[I have no particular desire to remove the images. I have a strong
desire to have us have a meaningful conversation, free of
hurrah-for-free-speech posturing, about this]