[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship (was: "I want to at least kill the responsible person.")

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:58:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 11:37 AM, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> Can you explain how an opt-out mechanism (by which I mean,
> certain content can be hidden if an easily-offended reader
> (a) has JavaScript enabled and (b) checks a preference or clicks
> a "hide" button) is "censorship"?  We would not be controlling
> what others can see; we would merely be giving them tools to allow
> them to tailor what they see.
>
> To me, such an approach *would* be a reasonable compromise, and
> would not be censorship.  I'm curious to hear the arguments the
> other way.

Who decides what is hidden and what isn't?  What about pictures with
nudity?  People in suggestive poses?  Medical images that may make
people sick?  Spoilers?

Where does it end?

And yes, it is censorship.  It provides an easy avenue for people to
see an editorialized version of an article.  Everyone sees something
different, and that something different is a POV article.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com