[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Feb 2 19:19:36 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 7:27 PM, Carl Beckhorn <cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:20:27AM +0000, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > We now do require people source things, we just aren't very good
> > at enforcing it (I believe it was Jimbo that said people shouldn't
> > be tagging dubious statements with {{fact}}, they should just be
> > removing them completely).
>
> We only require sources for quotes and facts that are challenged or
> "likely to be challenged", a compromise that I think is reasonable
> enough. Jimbo is right that dubious claims should be removed to the
> talk page - but only because they are dubious, not be because they
> are unsourced.

Moving to the talk page is different from deleting, anyway.  If
completely unsourced articles were moved to their talk page, rather
than deleted, I think you'd get fewer objections.  But I suppose
preventing the deletion of talk pages which have no corresponding
article is a battle that was lost long ago.