[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 00:59:50 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 4:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2008, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/02/2008, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That was the original idea, I agree, but we've moved on from that.
> >
> > Not remotely. Vast majority of our information is uncited.
>
> And that's a bag thing.

I assume you meant "bad"

In my opinion, yes - it would be nice to have a cite for everything.

It's also a horrible mistake to, for example, run through WP articles
and either delete everything that isn't cited, or all articles without
RS, or both.

That would remove most of the content, and would be a monumental
flipoff to the community that builds content here.

WP is a multi-dimensional tension system between content creators,
content improvers, citation focused people, readers, policy wonks, the
foundation...   An absolutist interpretation of notability, RS, etc
are horrible things to consider.

If you intend to blow up the project, there are more graceful ways,
like simply deleting the whole database, or killing everyone on Earth.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com