[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 07:35:37 UTC 2008

I think here, the most good we could probably do is in getting access
to journals that your average public library won't offer. I do get
access to some research resources through the regular public libraries
here, and that's pretty standard. Maybe we should survey what those
offer, to get a better idea where the major gaps might be?

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 9:41 PM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> I comment as a professional academic librarian. I was the cochair of
> princeton's collection development committee on electronic resources
> from the day it started.
>
> The typical budget today for e-resources for a major university is on
> the order of three to six million dollars a year, mainly for science
> journals and databases. The most expensive subscriptions to the works
> of a single publisher can be over one million dollars, and there are
> individual databases in the fifty to one hundred-thousand dollar
> range. A typical budget for a good undergraduate college might be one
> million; it will not have the most expensive journals.
>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM, George Herbert
> <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We need to get someone who's more of a professional librarian to look at
>> this and comment.  What are typical university library online reference
>> access budgets like, for example?
>>
>> Phoebe?
>>

>> --
>> -george william herbert
>> george.herbert at gmail.com
>>

> --
> David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.